June 22, 2012

Herb Spot: Lemon Balm

If you want to start an herb garden, start with Lemon Balm. You can basically neglect it and it will still grow! It will grow in the shade, sun, in a pot and even with the weeds!


My first experience with Lemon Balm was when a friend brought me her handcrafted, backyard tea. It makes the best tea!! Since then I have been in love and planted my own.

After a little research, I found that Lemon Balm is a great stress reliever. YAY! Not only does it taste great, it helps soothe the mind.  It's beneficial for winter illnesses, children's overall health, the digestive tract and a boost for the immune system. ALL in one plant! It's like God telling us, "I got this, just use what I give you!" hehe.

You can buy a plant at almost any nursery or you can buy the dried herb from a wonderful herb company.

Amazon also carries Lemon Balm tea! I have not tried this brand, but I'm sure it's wonderful.


Want to know who else has something to say about Lemon Balm?? 

St. Hildegard of Bingen!


I found the recipe below in the book, Saint Hildegard's Kitchen. I have yet to try it, so if you do let me know how it taste!


Lemon Balm Soother


Take 1 part lemon balm to 3 parts fennel leaves, boil together in water, strain out the plants, and drink the remaining liquid. This is an elixir used to combat mental confusion. Lemon balm reduces the effects of harmful humors and prevents them from gaining the upper hand, says Hildegard. The juice from the fennel plant puts the person in a proper, cheerful mood!





“Prayer is the best weapon we possess, the key that opens the heart of God.”

St. Pio of Pietrelcina

3 comments:

  1. I love what St Hildegard says about her tea, I must try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realize this is an older post, but when I saw "Hildegard" in you tags, I had to click on it. I'm not Catholic, but I've long been a "fan" of Hildegard von Bingen. I am actually living less than two hours from Bingen and hope to visit sometime. Nice to see what she had to say about lemon balm. I have loads of it growing in my garden and really need to use it more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love to visit Bingen. St. Hildegard is awesome and I still have so much to learn about her! I hope you do make the journey someday, that would be so special. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...