June 2, 2012

If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Do you know what im talking about?? I bet you do! If you are a mother or have a mother you probably know exactly what im talking about. The mother is the heart of the home and if that heart is happy and functioning well, then, so are the legs and arms!

I don't know about you but recently I have learned some huge lessons. One being that I need to take care of myself. I say need because it's not really an option. What I really want is someone to take care of me all the time, darn it! BUT, that's also not my vocation as a mother. We are lovers and givers, continually sacrificing all that we have for our husband and children - so let's address this happiness part.



There are so many ways to make a Momma happy. Take her out, buy her some pretty things, let her read a good book, go on a spiritual retreat, etc. They are all great and very helpful but I am going to address the food aspect of making Momma happy.

 At times I deal with mood swings, low blood sugar, food allergies, painful teeth and extreme exhaustion. DO you have a hard time getting out of bed? Do you have a hard time being cheerful to your hubby in the morning or evening? I certainly do! 

When I don't take care of myself regarding food I have a very hard time being virtuous.

When I put things into my body that harm, rather than help me it affects my spiritual life! When I eat too much sugar or processed foods I don't have energy to do the dishes and forget about that laundry! It's not only the household chores, my patience with the kids goes right out the window. It's very hard to take care of myself in this manner. I simply want to "treat" myself at the end of the day, but it's not a treat in the end!

SO what foods DO make me happy and want to love my family more?!? 


Here are some of my favorite "super" foods that I won't go without:

  1.       My number one choice: Coconut oil!  There is SO much information out there about coconut oil and its all good to know but it has helped me with: Blood sugar regulation, clearer thinking (its a brain food), losing weight, (oh ya!) and most importantly it helps with my energy! You can use it in cooking and baking but if you really want a boost just melt it and swallow it, you won't regret it!
    2.  I would say my number two choice: Fermented Cod Liver Oil. I don't know about you but I start to
         get pretty moody without my vitamin D! This cod liver oil is the most usable form of Vit. D (among
         many other good things) there is out there. YES, its super expensive but I swear by it. You will get
        sick less, (what mom wants to be on the couch feeling useless?!)  your hair and nails will be awesome
        and you won't be visiting the dentist much! (I will tell that story later)

   3.  It's hard to pick, but I gotta hand it to: Raw Milk. If you can tolerate cow's milk that's awesome. I
        drink raw goat's milk. Yes, it also is very expensive but this is treating myself. This is taking care of  
       myself. There is nothing more comforting to me than a big glass of milk and a good book. (or blog
       post!)

   4.  This is not a super food but it also makes me happy. Get yourself some good relaxing tea! It does
       calm the nerves and it puts you in a good mood. :)


Here's to a happy Momma!


This post was first shared over here at my dear friend, Kate's blog. Be sure to check her out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...