July 25, 2013

Crockpot Black Bean and Sausage Soup

I don't know about you, but I love black bean soup. I wouldn't mind eating it twice a week - now only to get my husband and children to agree! This is a very simple recipe, yet taste delicious and cooks up nice in the crockpot. I love having dinner made by mid-morning - freeing up my afternoons for enjoying the sun or getting out of the house, and then coming home to a delicious bowl of soup!

It's also an excellent meal to bring to a family in need. This recipe fits in my 6-quart crockpot - so it makes a LOT of soup. You can split it with a family in need or put it in the freezer for later.


Crockpot Black Bean and Sausage Soup


Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups dried black beans
9 cups of chicken or beef broth
1 package of sausage (we love Trader Joe's pork sausage)
1 lb. of carrots, chopped
6-8 celery stocks, chopped
1 1/2 medium onions, chopped
6-8 garlic cloves, depending on taste!
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of oregano
1 tablespoon of thyme
Salt and Pepper to taste


This makes a BIG pot of soup, so if you don't want a ton, simply halve the recipe. I use my 6-quart crockpot for this soup and it is filled to the top.

First, soak your beans overnight in water. (why soak your beans?)  In the morning drain and rinse your beans. Add the beans, chopped veggies, garlic, broth and spices to the crockpot. Let it cook for 5-6 hours on HIGH. Saute your sausage separately, chop and add shortly before serving. Make sure to add enough salt and pepper to taste.

There you have it, enjoy!

Linking up with Pennywise Platter and Real Food Wednesday


“I am not saying to you solve all my problems for me, give me everything you have, even though I am poor for love of you. I only ask for some bread and clothes, some relief from my hunger. I am in prison. I do not ask you to free me. I only with, that for your own good, you pay me a visit. That will be enough for me, and in return I will make you a gift of heaven. I have freed you from a prison a thousand times more harsh. But I am happy if you come and visit me from time to time.” – St John Chrysostem
 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious Sarah. We will have to try this next week. Two recipes I tried off of budgetbytes.com were gross. I will have to look elsewhere for low cost yummy recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for posting, I got the link from Kimi's blog. You inspired dinner tonight I had all the ingreds except broth, so added leftover chicken bone with the beans this am instead. these crockpot recipes REALLY help! Smells soooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...