September 17, 2013

Mexican Style Brown Rice Casserole

This is another great meal to bring to a family in need or to freeze for later. I often make a double batch so that I have the luxury of a freezer meal. If you like Mexican food, you will love this. It's packed full of protein - so perfect for a mama who just had a baby.

This recipe is also very flexible. Substitute any ingredients you like or add more spices, if you don't care for spinach go ahead and add brocolli!

Happy cooking!


Mexican Style Brown Rice Casserole


Ingredients:

4 cups cooked brown rice
16 oz. fresh salsa
1 pound ground beef, cooked
1 tsp ground cumin
15 oz of refried beans (the kind without hydrogenated lard in it)
10 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed
4 oz can mild diced green chilis
1 Tbsp chilli powder (homemade chilli powder recipe)
10 oz of chopped frozen spinach or collard greens, thawed and drained
Shredded cheese


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 2 quart dish with coconut oil or butter.

In a bowl, combine rice, salsa, cumin and cooked ground beef. Spoon half the mixture into a 9x13 baking dish and spread evenly. In another bowl, combine refried beans, corn, diced green chilis, and chili powder. Scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and then add the drained spinach on top of bean layer. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and sprinkle with more cheese. Bake until heated through and cheese is bubbling, about 30 minutes.

Linking up with Party Wave Wednesday

"In times of aridity when I am incapable of praying, of practicing virtue, I seek little opportunities, mere trifles, to give pleasure to Jesus; for instance a smile, a pleasant word when inclined to be silent and to show weariness. If I find no opportunities, I at least tell Him again and again that I love Him; that is not difficult and it keeps alive the fire in my heart. Even though this fire of love might seem extinct I would still throw little straws upon the embers and I am certain it would rekindle."  - St. Therese of the Child Jesus

2 comments:

  1. That looks yummmy and I bet I can make a vegan version pretty easily!

    I loved your quote - have you seen the movie Thérèse from 1986...it's the best one I think...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Th%C3%A9r%C3%A8se_(film)

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will give this one a try!

    Great quote!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...