March 19, 2014

5 Favorite Books for a New Mama

Curling up with a good book in a comfy chair has got to be one of the most wonderful things in life. Give me a classic, a children's book, a cook book, or even a birthing guide - I love them all. I also love sharing my favorites and learning yours. If you would add to this list I would love to know! I am not an amazon affiliate (anymore), but if you buy books from amazon, support this homeschooling, book-loving momma! If you purchase books through clicking on her links then she will get a fraction of the cost, (merely penny's) but they add up!

Now for my favorite books to gift a new mom:

  1. Beautiful Babies: Nutrition For Fertility, Pregnancy, Breast-Feeding, and Baby's First Foods.  This is the book I wish I had before I got pregnant with my first. I do not own this book, but I have checked it out at the library and it's fantastic. Pregnant with my first I thought I could eat whatever I wanted and baby got what it needed. I think this book would have helped me to understand that nutrition and gut health do matter. Kristen does an amazing job of keeping it simple and easy to read, just what a new mama's would need. Another journal similar to this book is the Weston Price Healthy Baby issue that I did get a hold of and love it, most of the articles can be found on the Weston Price website, but it's so nice to have it in a journal.   



   

2 . Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers.  I had almost every nursing problem in the book with my first, and then more with my second and I feel like i've read plenty of books out there on nursing. I didn't find any of them helpful except for this ONE book.  Most of them were entirely overwhelming, especially being postpartum and trying to figure out why the heck it hurt till I cried every single time. With the help of a wonderful lactation consultant and the advice from this book I was able to successfully breastfeed all three of my kids, I am so blessed. I think every new momma needs this book. :)







3. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. This is a great book for the Mama who wants to go all natural. :) Its a perfect overall guide that's very positive about birth. I personally have not read the whole thing, but many of my friends and my sister has and they love it. We read the Husband Coached Childbirth and it's great, too - but I would recommend Ina May's first.











4. When it comes to fertility books, I'm really impressed with Katie Singer's The Garden of Fertility: A Guide to Charting Your Fertility Signals to Prevent or Achieve Pregnancy--Naturally--and to Gauge Your Reproductive Health. What I appreciate most about this author is her nutrition standpoint. She understands that certain foods can help or hinder our fertility, and she's totally on board with Weston Price. (whom I love :). Its a secular book so she's not in line with the church's teachings, but completely worth the read. I have learned a lot from her.








5. Jane Eyre. Although I list this book last, I think this is the best one. The BEST ONE, folks. Im in love with this book. What more can I possibly say? Maybe, just maybe it's making it on the best book I have ever read category. It's only $2.99 on amazon for the paperback and free for your kindle. You can't beat it. :) I don't have a lot of sit-down-peaceful-reading time around here (and most new moms don't) so I downloaded this free app on my phone and listened to it for free on Librivox. I could listen to it while I went for a walk, did the dishes or while I laid the baby down at night.  Im really impressed with the narrator and I simply couldn't put it down. Im hooked on audiobooks now, such a great way to listen to classics!



So that's it! I'd love to hear which books helped or inspired you as a new mom - or even a seasoned mom. What would you buy someone for their baby shower?

Im linking up with the sweet Hallie today, click on over. Have a blessed day,

- Sarah


“After nourishment, shelter and companionship, stories are the thing we need most in the world.” -Philip Pullman (taken from here)

7 comments:

  1. I am a lover of fertility diet books, so I am going to purchase Beautiful Babies. Thanks for the recommendation!
    I responded to your comment about oil cleansing at my blog. My suggestion is to try avocado oil and macadamia nut oil. They are both highly moisturizing, but lighter in weight than coconut oil so they will not feel heavy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh great! Kirsten certainly won't disappoint. :) Another resource that will have a lot of the same advice (and free at that :) is Donielle Baker's blog Natural Fertility and Wellness. She's great and if I ever struggled with fertility it would be the first place I would turn to. The Garden of Fertility is good for that as well, but I think you can find all the information in Beautiful Babies or Donielle's blog. All of these resources advise a traditional diet which is a little different than most fertility nutrition books out there (at least what I have seen) so that's what make them unique and great! (imho) I hope you like it, make sure to tell me if you do!

      http://www.naturalfertilityandwellness.com/

      Delete
    2. Excellent information! I will check out that blog. Thank you!

      Delete
    3. Ooh. I'm going to look into that, too! We've been having struggles with fertility, I'm not ovulating, and I'm so hesitant to go to the doctor to get it checked out because I think they'll push pills... and I don't want to go that direction if I don't have to! Thanks so very much!!

      Delete
    4. Im so glad you stopped by Audrie. I hope you find Donielle's information useful!

      Delete
  2. The Happiest Baby on the Block... I loved that book so much. It helped us a lot with our fussy newborn, who turned out not to be colicky after all, just in need of some tight swaddling and white noise! I am not at all a "baby scheduler" so I'm not sure how his techniques would fit with someone who likes Babywise and stuff like that, but for us, it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh that's a good one too! I used the techniques for my oldest and it was great. I know a lot of people who swear by it. :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...